SOLAS Safe Pass
Safe Pass from SOLAS (formerly FÁS) is a mandatory construction safety training course certified by SOLAS that gives participants the right safety training and supported documentation to allow them to work on building sites and in other premises where construction or other maintenance is taking place. Construction workers must know about health and safety so that they and others are not at risk of being injured. The SOLAS Safe Pass is a mandatory qualification: all workers in the construction sector must have received Safe Pass safety awareness training and have a Safe Pass card before they can work on construction sites. NCU Training is an Approved Training Organisation for Safe Pass with SOLAS our Organisation Id: 903838
Note: Construction workers are bound by law to hold a valid Safe Pass Registration Card.
"The facilitator made the course enjoyable and informative" - Shane
Our tutor Stephen Murphy has worked in the construction industry for more than 27 years and has worked in Europe, the Middle East, the UK and Ireland. He has been involved with the Safe Pass programme since 2002. His qualifications include a Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety from UCD, a Certificate in Training and Further Education from NUI Maynooth, and a Bachelor of Business Studies from UCD.
All participants will need PHOTO ID and ONE PASSPORT SIZE PHOTO, PPS NUMBER and proof of their PPS NUMBER on the morning of the course.
Written and spoken English is essential. Anyone without these skills will not be allowed on the course.
On completion of the course, Participants will be able to:
- Explain the reasons for promoting a safety culture
- Describe their duties and responsibilities at work
- Describe accident reporting and emergency procedures
- Explain how to work safely at heights
- Explain the need to comply with safe working procedures when working in excavations and confined spaces
- Explain the safety precautions to take when working with electricity, underground and overhead services
- Explain how and when to use personal protective equipment
- Describe how to use hand-held equipment, tools and machinery in a safe and competent manner
- Explain the basic rules for using vehicles and mobile plant on site
- Explain how and when to use personal protective equipment to protect against excessive exposure to noise and vibration at work
- Explain the correct techniques for lifting and carrying loads
- Observe proper health and hygiene practices on site
- Entry requirements: FETAC/QQI Level 3 certificate, Junior certificate or equivalent
- Qualification: SOLAS Safe Pass
- Duration:One full day 8:00am - 17:00pm
- Assessment: Assignments / Portfolio
- Each participant must be over 16 years old on the day of the course.
- On the day of the course all participants must have either Passport or Driving licence and ONE PASSPORT SIZE PHOTO and their PPS NUMBER
- Please note the early start time –8:00am - 5:00pm. It is essential that participants attend at least 10 minutes before the start time – late arrivals will not be permitted to enter the class as per SOLAS instruction.
- Participants must have a good command of the english Language
- Participants on standby will be given confirmed places in the event of lateness by other participants.
- Confirmation of a place on the course is guaranteed only by full payment of the fee before the course date.
- There will be NO REFUND of fees for non attendance, late attendance, or on failure of course examination.
- A lunch will be provided on the day for participants.
- The Safe Pass course is held in the Glin Centre, Glin Road, Coolock, D17.
- Following the successful completion of the course your Safe Pass registration card will be available in the Glin Centre, when returned to us by SOLAS, usually within 12 weeks but this time scale cannot be guaranteed.
For participants travelling from abroad
- PHOTO ID and ONE PASSPORT SIZE PHOTO and their NATIONAL INSURANCE NUMBER on the morning of the course.
- Employer Name, Address and email.
- Country Of Origin for Employer & Employee
- Name address and email of contractor in Ireland that is employing them
- Site location in Ireland
Price and next starting date.
- Price: €95
- Funding: A range of training courses are available with NCU Training which are free to unemployed persons. The first step is to contact your local Employment Services Office to register and apply for training.
- View upcoming courses for next starting date